Life is movement; forward movement. On this journey, I alternately trudge, walk, stumble,
march and dance. It is to the dance that I devote my work. Occasionally literally, but always
figuratively, I strive to express the sense of celebration present in Liila - the dance of life.
How I wish I could make my paintings dance - or sing the song of Paul Winter's sax! To this end I
aim my journey - to dance Liila, and to express it in my work. -January 1989
Some things don't change... Twenty years later, my mission is the same. My work is a prayer
The top ten things that have affected me as an artist - besides my belief system - listed in
a sort of chronological order:
- My upbringing by loving parents and siblings in a secure and nurturing environment on
Conesus Lake - anyone's dream.
- My education by respectful, generous and caring teachers... Mary Lee Page, Gordon Miller,
Lars Mazzola, and Richard Beale
- Jim... my partner... my best friend... my husband
- Our sons... our gifts to the world... sensitive, loving, respectful, responsible, generous,
talented, successful... here I have no humility
- Our years on Peglow Road – woods, fields, ponds, trails, forts, barns, zip lines,
berries, flowers, campfires, goats, chickens, pigs, cats, rabbits, wildlife...
- My awesome students from twenty-eight years teaching art at Wayland-Cohocton Central School...
innumerable valuable lessons from hundreds, and many friends for life...
- In-laws... Our three special daughters-in-law... each of whom I would have picked out myself...
truly daughters... as well as my other family that I did pick out - the Hoefens / Greisbergers
- Our grandchildren... superlatives don't suffice...
- Christine... My painting partner, brutal critique master, friend and confidant
- My treasured friends, the "Food Group", colleagues, and other special relatives
I sure wish I had said Top Eleven or twelve so that I could have included our travels - especially
Maine. It sure has influenced my work... but I said Ten, so... I won't mention Biddeford Pool, the
ocean and salt marsh, the rocks and waves, the lighthouse, seagulls, biking or Ben and Jerry's. Or
Italy, France or England... or the Master's like Chuck Close, Keith Harding, Georgia O'Keeffe,
In gratitude, I dedicate my work to my blessings...